As I mentioned in The Sofa Saga Part 1
, I wasnt loving those legs. They looked cheap and IKEA-y.
Altering or replacing karlstad legs for a sleeker, sexier, less IKEA look is by no means an original idea. It’s been done here
, and here
, and probably by hundreds of other people. There are even companies that make better looking replacements for IKEA legs such as Pretty Pegs
, and Uncle Bobs Workshop
. The latter makes replacement legs specifically for the Karlstad, and I would have seriously considered them if we didnt need 8. 8 x $9+ = too much for me to spend in addition to already buying the damn couch. Luckily Lowes
offers cheaper options. We found these for less than $3 each.
The other supplies we needed included mounting plates (less than $2.00 each). There was a choice between flat and angled, we choose flat (or as it says straight)
Stain love me some golden pecan (I think this little jar was about $7, and we barely made a dent in it)
supplies not pictured: a brush made for stain ($5?), clean cloths (free), masking tape (cheap), and a cardboard box (free). Howard Feed-n-Wax is optional, but I already had some lying around, so I figured, why not?
Step 1: Make sure that your replacement legs are roughly the same size as the originals.
Step 2: Tape over the metal part of the leg. I did the blue ones thats why theyre so much prettier.
Step 3: Stab the screw end of the leg into a cardboard box so that its standing up straight-ish.
Step 4: Apply stain according to manufacturers instructions. I think we may have actually failed at that because Im pretty sure we were supposed to be going with the grain, but it all worked out so who cares?
Step 5: Wait desired amount of time, and then wipe off excess stain. Our container said to wait anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on desired color. We waited 5.
Step 6: Wait again, follow manufacturer instructions. Ours said to wait at least 8 hours for stain to dry.
(Optional) Step 7: Apply wax/polish/some type of sealant. With the Howards, you soak a clean cloth in the wax, wipe it on, wait 20 minutes, and then buffer it off. Easy peasy, and it smells like oranges.
Step 8: Remove the cushions and flip your couch over. Make a cushion fort if you feel so inclined. Because our sectional is such a beast, we ended up separating it into its three sections to make it more manageable.
Step 9: Remove original legs. Just use the same tool you used to screw them in.
Step 10: Remove plastic mounting plate. We used a flat head screw driver, and it was really easy. In these pictures my husband is working from the bottom, but I found it easier to work from the corner with the hole in it. There are no staples up there, so the screwdriver just slides right in.
Step 11: Attach metal mounting plates with given screws. My husband did all of these, but I believe he tried to line the middle up over the original screw hole.
Step 12: Screw in much better looking legs
Step 13: Flip that thing back over, reassemble if necessary, throw the cushions back on, and admire your new and improved couch.
Side note: We can keep the dogs off the couch, but we apparently cant keep the dog hair off the couch. Dog hair dominates our lives!